Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Final Reflection

Before the start of the course, I was wondering what will be taught in this module. I have some fear and reservations about attending this module as mathematics was my weakest subject. Although I do not hate or detest mathematics but I do not have the confident that I can do well in this module.

However, I really enjoyed the lectures and I have fun too. I had never imagined that mathematics can be taught in such fun, creative and interactive manner. I wish that I could be given the opportunity to learn mathematics in such fun, creative and interesting manner during my childhood education.

For now, I really want to make a different in children's learning in mathematics. I hope to assist children to lay the proper foundations in mathematics before they transits to primary school and give them the right attitude towards learning mathematics.

There are two theories that I have learnt during lectures that have left a great impact and impression on me. The first one is Polya's Model - Let's Solve it which involves the following process:
  • Understanding the problem
  • Devising a plan
  • Carrying out the plan
  • Looking back
The second is the Jerome Bruner's theory on CPA approach. The approach is as follows:
  • Concrete materials
  • Pictorial
  • Abstract
Last but not least is the value of teaching mathematical concepts and skills through problem solving.

No comments:

Post a Comment