Monday, September 20, 2010

Reflection on Chapter 7

After reading chapter 7, I am surprised to realised that using calculators can improve children's attitudes and motivation in learning mathematics and used calculators to develop concepts and enhance problem solving. As mentioned in the chapter, teachers have to capitalize on the appropriate use of technology to expand children's mathematical understanding.

As I was reading this chapter, I have this question back in my mind. Will using calculator take away children's ability to do mental calculation? Will children relay on using calculator each time they have to do calculations. But as I read on, my questions were answered.

This chapter also mentioned that computers software can be used to develop numeration and geometry. My concern is, do teachers have the required knowledge and skill to use this technology to help children understand and expand their mathematical concept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment